Sunday, December 30, 2012

Album Review: Ill Bliss – Oga Boss

Ill Bliss – Oga Boss (Hip-Hop / Rap – Nov 2012) 

Here's the first in a series of home grown "glocal content" music and book reviews. This feature is on Ill Bliss' latest album - Oga Boss.

If you like Naija jams and east coast hip hop as much as I do, you’ll find Oga Boss from Ill Bliss to be an excellent album. A friend had shared the video of Anam Achi Kwanu with me from YouTube and that never stopped ringing in my head. So, one hot Lagos day in traffic a vendor straight from my dreams flashed the Oga Boss album in my face and I copped it fast! Slamming beats, strong clear lyrics, and the best Igbo lyrics on music I have ever heard make this album deserve its car stereo repeat mode status. While Anam Achi Kwanu has one of the best hooks on the album, collabos with Phyno, Naeto C, Ice Prince,  Banky W, Chidinma and Timaya are also notable. There's no skipping any song here guys. I promise you. If I had to pick two songs, they will have to be Anam Achi Kwanu and Hustlers footsteps. Just when I was getting used to sophomore albums being bland, vacuous and often a waste of N150, Ill Bliss comes and makes me a believer again.

Here's a verse from track 2 - "illyminate":

"Abeg I beg no dirty my shirt
E be like say some of them don forget
Apply the pressure, hook them for neck
No air for your windpipe, you go kpai o!"

The album comes out from Capital HIll Music / The Goretti Company and the songs are produced by – Suspect, Phyno, Legendury Beatz, XYZ, Slivastone, Wizboyy, Wazbeat & Del B. 
Ill Bliss, that Ibo boy, has definitely arrived and he is taking no prisoners with Oga Boss. Buy it, roll up your windows and jam it loud...that's what this one deserves.

See link to Anam Achi Kwanu here

Share your opinion of the album and your favorite tunes from it here.

SAN

1 comment:

  1. To comment: Select options from the drop down window by either using the "name/url" option (forget the URL) or use your google sign on

    ReplyDelete